Monday, September 20, 2010

Waterstone Memoir

So how did the reading at Waterstone in Enfield go on Friday night? After snail crawling with the car through the Pope’s diverted traffic on the A406 and the Great Cambridge Road in Enfield with my son Lawrence, very well. In a cosy setting with some like-minded friends I felt at home with my writing colleagues and friends.

Whereas Patsy read first, I read last and I am not sure what that means in terms of being remembered? However, I do wonder what Freud might have made of it, that is, whether being last might mean that I could be forgotten or by being last I could actually be remembered as the final impact!

Well I read my poem on the theme of Skin entitled Skin Layer. This poem is in fact ‘Skin Layer 1’ as there are numbers 2 and 3 that follow on in terms of going into metaphor of what layers mean to me. Like in therapy the analogy could be digging deeper for interpretation to find meaning.

Of the four of us that read, this poem was the shortest but by no means the least informative on the concept of objects and relationships, as I do I like to provide hints, mystery, abstract and a certain revelation of my world in my works. However, I believe that it is the reading that gives away the most telling clues of the history, circumstances and plausibility of an actual event being remembered.

Thanks to my Powerful Presenting skills, gained from the empowering mix of Murielle Maupoint and Helen Emms, I stood with poise, confidence, pause and character. After all there is much enjoyment in doing a satisfying reading knowing that the audience appreciated it and the delivery was brilliant.  I do add that most of my poems are quite spontaneous.

One evening when ‘I put my laptop to use...’, I simply found myself being carried away as if unconsciously recalling a phantasy, even though one could say equally that it was likely my internal world then, in my time line of events.

I can only thank Nicole Moore for inviting me to the reading and no doubt us Shangwe Writers will continue to write about our worlds from a female black or mixed raced perspective to share our experiences with the world and in doing so maybe there might be a collective experience in some way that we individually may have encountered.

Shangwe Lulu - promotor of female black or mixed raced writers
 
Live it Ventures - Masters of Physiology NLP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home