Thursday, December 15, 2011

Moving Forward - Real, Imagery and Symbolic

Of course I am still here.  Although this may be a virtual space, I am real and in an imaginary way we can connect symbolically through speech or the written word.  Oops, so you know where I am getting this language from, Lacan, the Frenchman.  Yes, that's right, because his lectures seem to be so complicated, it is taking me months rather than weeks I had thought originally to get into the flavour of his writing and his thoughts.  Reading Lacan is mesmerising.  His thoughts are so deep and complex and infused with french phrases that I am reading a few pages at a time and then transported into deep thought of 'what was that all about'?  There are lots of discussions about the real, imagery and the symbolic, and I am not about to try to explain it all today, however, I must say it does give a facinating take on what is actually real?  Further his take on the importance of speech in making a link to an object or person forming something symbolic in our world has made me wonder, what happens if we stop speaking to someone literally or in our imagination?  Perhaps some kind of death.

I wonder what is it that prompts a person to end speech?  Could it be anger, frustration or something like the end of love?  Could it even be that the love was somehow driving one mad as Lacan may suggest? (Lacan, 1953-1954, Book I, Freud's Papers on Techniques).

I'm never that far away you know, either I'm preoccupied with client work or trying to get my head around some complicated theory in psychology that kind of makes sense in my world or has some relation to an experience that I can relate to, that gives me an ah ha expression, even though one cannot say definitively that's the reason of the quest for why.

The question now is who really wants the end of love?  Maybe a dependent person in fear of loosing love one day.  The thing is how certain is consistentency of love in the subjective form that one may idealise it?  Is this a trick question!  In my view, howsoever it feels good, enjoy it while it lasts.

Reference

J. Forrester and J. Miller (1988), The Seminars of Jacques Lacan, Cambridge University Presss, UK


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home